Slovenian Welfare & Information Office Inc.

Local Council Assistance

E-mail Print PDF


The Home Care Packages Program commences on 1st  August 2013,  replacing the former packages care programs – Community Aged Care Packages (CACP), Extended Aged Care at Home (EACH) packages and Extended Aged Care at Home Dementia (EACHD) packages.

From 1st August 2013 a Home Care Package is a coordinated package of services tailored to meet consumer’s specific care needs.  The package is coordinated by a home care provider, with funding provided by the Australian Government.  There are four levels of Home Care Packages:

  • Home Care Level 1 -  to support people with basic care needs.
  • Home Care Level 2 – to support people with low-level care needs.
  • Home Care Level 3 – to support people with intermediate care needs.
  • Home Care Level 4 – to support people with high care needs.

From 1st August 2013, all new Home Care Packages must be delivered on a Consumer Directed Care (CDC) basis.

Staying in your own home


There are many different services that may support you to stay in your own home for longer, including:

Help with housework,  help with personal care such as bathing and dressing,  Help with meals and food preparation,  help staying physically active,  social support and activities,  help with transport,  nursing care,  allied health support such as physiotherapy or podiatry,  maintenance and modifications to your home,  goods and equipment to help you,  people you can talk with through counselling services.

If you only need a couple of services to help you stay living in your own home, it is best to access them through a program called the HACC Program. This program can assist you if you need extra help to stay in your own home longer.

Some facts about HACC:     

 it delivers services to more than 500,000 older people nationwide,  common services include domestic assistance, centre-based day care and meals,  there is no formal assessment required to access these services. You can often contact a service provider directly.

If you need any help, you may first need to meet with a member of an Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT) and be assessed.  An ACAT can talk to you about the kind of services you need and approve you for that care.

To arrange an ACAT assessment, you can ask your doctor for a referral, or contact the Commonwealth Carelink Centre on 1800 052 222.

Taking a break from caring (Respite care)


If you are looking after your partner, a family member or friend, or if you are being cared for and need a break from your usual care arrangement, there are services that can help you to take a break. These services are known as “respite services” and may include:

  • Someone coming to your home to look after the person you care for,
  • Day outings and activities for the person you care for,
  • Overnight care for the person you care for,
  • Short stays in aged care homes,
  • Help if you have a sudden emergency and are unable to look after the person you care for.

For emergency respite support call 1800 059 059.

After-hospital care (Transition care)


If you have been in hospital and are ready to be discharged, but you still need more time and support or help get back on your feet before you decide about the best place for you to live in the longer term then you may benefit from transition care.

Transition care provides you with a package of services that includes:

Low intensity therapy such as physiotherapy (exercise, mobility, strength and balance) and podiatry (foot care).

You will need to meet with a member of an Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT) and be assessed before you are approved to receive transition care. An ACAT will visit you while you are still in hospital and talk to you about the kind of services you need.  They will help you to decide whether transition care may be right for you.

For more information go to:



As part of the Living Longer Living Better aged care reform announced in April 2012, new supplements have been developed to provide additional financial assistance to Approved Providers, in recognition of the additional costs associated with caring for people with dementia and health conditions.  This is:

The Dementia and Severe Behaviour Supplement in Residential Care

Approved Providers will be able to claim the supplements on top of the basic subsidies for care recipients who meet the eligibility criteria.  Each assessment must be carried out by a registered nurse, clinical nurse specialist, nurse practitioner or medical practitioner using special assessment tools.

Approved Providers need to apply for the Dementia and Cognition Supplement in Home Care using the Department of Human Services (DHS) application form.  From 1 August this can be found at:

For more information about dementia, dementia care, training and support, go to the:

Department of Health and Ageing’s Dementia pages at

You are here: Home Info Services Australian issues Local Council assistance